Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I love you guys.....I really do!

Thank you so much for your encouragement, support and experience! I am so blessed to have found all of you. It's like having your very own panel of experts. I'm feeling a little better today. Still anxious, but I went to have my pre-op testing done today, the EKG, chest x-ray and blood work.

Last year I had major neck surgery and the day after I had all my pre-op stuff done, my surgeon's office called to tell me that there was something off on the EKG, so I needed to go for a nuclear stress test, which would postpone my surgery. So, one of my best friends happens to be a cardiologist and he gets me in quickly and promises to read my results as I wait, because I really needed the surgery. I do the stress test, my friend comes in to read it, and looks at me very seriously and says, "Have you been having chest pains or shortness of breath?" I'm like....NO?!?! Why? He says, there is something here, I can't tell what it is, but it looks like a blockage at the back side of your heart, I'm gonna have to cath you before I can let you have surgery. I freak the heck out, because before I was just worried about being paralyzed now I think I'm gonna have a heart attack. So, the next morning at 7am I'm in the Cath Lab, with my dear friend feeding a line through the artery in my groin under x-ray (if that doesn't test a friendship, I don't know what does!). The end result was my friend telling me that I had the heart of a 26 year old, the ass of a 60 year old, but a young heart indeed.

So, and there was a purpose to the sidebar, today after my EKG, I told the girl this story and she said, well you don't have to worry about that this time, it looks good, just a slow heart beat (from one of my high blood pressure meds.) I was thrilled to hear about that. So, now I'm just waiting. As I said, my Doc does not expect me to do a liquid diet and so I haven't but today I thought, well, I'll do it today and tomorrow, it can't hurt right? Well, it does hurt... I'm soooo hungry. I don't know how you guys are doing this for so long.

I did a lot of blog reading last night and going back to early posts when people were feeling aprehensive just like me. That, and all of your kind words made me feel so much better. I can't wait to embark on this journey. I feel prepared and I feel so lucky to have all of you to help me.
Thanks so much.

Hugs!!!!
Tess

10 comments:

LDswims said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and I'm very glad the EKG is good!

Yeah, the liquid diet is tough to start - but after the third day it's really not so bad. It's so odd, but if you beat the third day, the hunger really does disappear. And I find that when faced with carbs - I really don't want them. You are so lucky you don't have to - what's your post-op diet like? Will it be liquid for a week?

Two more days (not even)! It's almost done! YAYAY!!!!

Marie said...

Hi Tessierose
Glad the EKG went well. What hurdles we have to go through for these bands. Some more than others.
I was just banded last Friday so I know your fears and concerns as I just has them! I didn't have to do the liquid diet either. I started the clear liquid half a day earlier. I have to be on full liquids for 2 weeks then mushies for 2 weeks - no solid food for four weeks! The first three days post op were rough for me. I couldn't keep drink much at all as I was very swollen. Still am. Today (Day 4) is much better. Things are going down much easier now. Just hang in there!!

Amanda Kiska said...

I am so happy for your good test results and your band in two days. You are almost there!

Lap Band Groupie said...

I only did a few days of liquids too. Glad the EKG went well and you're set to go. I'd been waiting for a year for my band and I was definitely sure I wanted it and excited about my banding, but even I got 'cold feet' and was nervous...everyone is afraid this won't work for them, they'll be the one that never feels restriction, etc. You're going to do great, just because you're so prepared for all this!!

Joey said...

Stop bragging about your 26 year old heart.

:)

glad all went well! good luck lady!

Bonnie said...

Glad pre-op went well. I tried the liquid diet before I did my last weigh in and you saw how well that worked for me (I gained 2 1/2 lbs). I've got to get serious about losing some weight before my surgery. I plan on doing a post about it soon.

Girl Bandit said...

Great news about the pre op testing and how lucky are you???? No liquid diet...by far the worst bit in my opinion. Good luck and not long now

THE DASH! said...

You betcha we were apprehensive, baby! Just keep on doing what you're doing - you're on the home run now. :) Come on down, Thursday!! (actually that's tomorrow here at the moment lol cos we are a day ahead.)

Andrew said...

Not long now...here it comes

Catherine55 said...

So glad it's all going well so far! Just wanted to send you best wishes for tomorrow. Hang in there and, if (when) you have moments of doubt, remind yourself of why you are doing this. :) I'm so glad that reading my & others' early posts was helpful to you. You are in for an exciting year!

BTW, I hope you took your measurements already, but definitely do it today if you haven't yet!!

Best wishes,

Catherine