Tuesday, June 29, 2010

To fill or not to fill...


That is the question!?! I have fill appointment next Tuesday and I just don't know if I should get one. As I've told you guys, I have gotten stuck quite a bit since my first 2cc fill. I don't want to be too tight. But, how can you know? I mean the band is certainly a fickle little thing isn't it? Some days I feel like I could eat a cow, some days I can barely eat. I don't push it though and can enjoy lots of different foods. I do know that I don't want to be so tight that I can't eat in front of others. I do know that my food choices generally dictate my satisfaction after a meal. If I make good choices with a protein rich meal, then I stay satisfied. It is also important for me not to drink with a meal and to wait at least 30 minutes after to drink. When I am true to those two things, then the band does just fine for me. I do get hungry, but can I really expect not to get hungry? I don't get hungry right after I eat, that is if I don't drink with my meal. I'm just so torn about this decision to fill or not to fill. Okay bandsters....I need some sage advice.


I forgot that Friday was my 3 month bandiversary. As of Friday, I was down 28 pounds, when I do an weekly average, that's 2.15 pounds per week or 9.33 pounds per month. That makes me feel better since I feel like my weight loss is painfully slow. Anyway, I'm just plugging along, I'm glad that I made the decision to have WLS, I'm glad I found all of you to share my journey with. I really think that I was pretty well prepared for what it would be like to have the lap band, but then I suppose I believed somehow that I would lose quicker than I am. I get a little disheartened sometimes by comments from my friends and family about my progress, like...duh...you have a lapband. It kind of hurts my feelings when people don't understand that even though I have a lap band, I still have to do my part. It's not magic and frankly, it's damn hard sometimes. I know people who have a lap band and are still just as overweight as when they started. Oh, enough of my rant already! I am very thankful that I made this decision and I am increasingly more hopeful and less skeptical with each pound that I drop. Thank you all for sharing this journey with me!


Hugs,


T

13 comments:

Amanda Kiska said...

You are doing so well! I can't believe it has been three months already. 2+ lbs. a week is a great average and I wouldn't consider that slow at all. I know know we all want to be done with it yesterday, but the journey is so important!

As for another fill...hmmm...Not sure. Maybe a little one. I think the criteria is staying full for 3-4 hours after a meal. If you aren't sure that you are at your "sweet spot" then you probably aren't.

Perry Joyce said...

I live in constant fear of an un-fill for some reason. It just seems like such a pain in the ass (tummy?) to me. So I'd say if you're losing regularly - which it certainly sounds like you are! So I'd say 'no' to the fill. I think a lot of us (myself included) fall into the logic that tighter = more weight loss, but that's not always the case. Your patience will be rewarded with comfort.

Alternatively, you can express everything mentioned here to your doctor and maybe s/he can give you just .1cc or something very, very small? Just to try it out?

Justine said...

I was going to suggest, as Pie has, that you should maybe talk it through with whoever it is that you see for fills. They are very experienced, and would be in a good position to advise you.
As for your rate of weightloss, I am just over 5 months in and have lost 32lbs; if I hadn't read other blogs where bandsters have lost 50lbs or more in the time it has taken me to lose my 32lbs I probably wouldn't feel like I was on a go-slow! If someone had said to me pre-band 'Hey, you can lose 32lbs in five months and I guarantee it will stay off', I'm pretty sure I'd have been happy with that! Although our fellow bandster bloggers provide us with the utmost support, I think we can also beat ourselves up when we compare ourselves to those who we perceive as doing 'better' than us. The bummer is that it's hard not to!

Nella said...

Wow 28lbs in 3 months - thats freakin amazing! It took me 4 to do 30lbs!
Same suggestion...talk it out with your fill master! You are losing...so its working!

That's why I haven't told anyone except my husband and sisters. I don't want people to judge me and think that this is easy...HELL NO!

Keep on rockin sista!

Jess said...

I have the same issue with the band. I have been contemplating a fill for quite some time now and just now made my appt today for July 14th. I haven't had a fill in over a month. And every day the same people at work ask how much I have lost and I have been saying the same amount of pounds for like months and they just look at me like I am crazy. Like "why did you get surgery then?" It ticks me off.

Anonymous said...

I got nuthin'. I will be going for my first fill on Tuesday. I am kind of scared. Sorry about the jack asses that say stupid shit. Morons! I hope things go well weather you have a fill or not.

Joey said...

Agreed. Talk to the expert. If you haven't lost anything in a while, then maybe a tiny one. Are your stuck episodes user error or are they a surprise? 2+ pounds per week is GREAT!!!! Good luck!!

KylieJo said...

Congrats on a great job! I am not telling anybody but my husband because I don't want to be "watched" constantly. of course that's what I am saying now, we'll see what happens later lol.

Linda said...

That's the eternal question. I try to judge my need for fills on how long my meals are lasting. I do get hungry and that's my cue to eat, but it needs to stay with me. You are obviously close to your sweet spot so maybe just a drop.
You are doing amazingly well with your loss!!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

NO fill advice here but a big thank you to YOU for letting ME in on your journey..it has been an honor! Love you Rosebud.

Jenny said...

Happy bandiversary! Um, on the fill front I really don't know. I'm in the same boat. I told the dr. yesterday no fill for me because I think I need to work harder at my choices. Now I'm regretting that! But I said no because my dr. is close by and can usually see me same day or next.

Donut Diva said...

I think we all go through that question. I have more in my band than most I think almost 8 cc's and I am 6 months out. I am scheduled to go in next week for antoher fill. I have some restriction like you said but not much, and I have only lost 3 pounds this past month.

Love some supporters at my spot
bandedup.blogspot.com

Cindylew said...

Keep your appt. and see what they recommend based on all of the honest answers you give them to their questions. I'm sure they'll direct you well.
Congrats on your 28 lbs...that's fantastic and don't worry about the calendar....we'll be working this for the rest of our lives...so relax a little bit...God, if I could only take my own advise.