Monday, January 31, 2011
On Friday we had visitation for my cousin, so as soon as I got home I whipped up supper for the kids and went to the funeral home for a couple of hours. Then Saturday, we had more visitation and then the funeral, the eulogy went very well and I was honored to have been asked to speak at the funeral. It was a beautiful service, but it's just so sad. Then after the funeral, off to my sister's to wait for everyone to come eat. We have a huge family, my cousin who passed is my cousin on my Dad's side, my Dad was one of 9 children and my cousin was one of 11 children, I have 26 first cousins on that side of the family. My oldest first cousin is 82 and I'm the youngest at 48, we cover a lot of ground. He was buried in our family cemetery that is in a very rural area. So, my sister and I had lots of time to get things ready for all the people who would be coming later. Lot's of people showed up and it turned into an all day event.
I had to leave a around 5, because after all that, my husband and I had a Mardi Gras cocktail party to attend. It was fun, but I was just not in a very good mood to be going to a party. One thing I must say, is that when you are normally a very jovial person who's expected to be the life of the party, people notice if you're not all happy. One of my friends actually looked at me and said, you're grouchy, and I was. I guess I should be sorry for raining on other's parade, I just was having a very sad day and you know, I think I'm entitled every once in a while to just feel the way I feel. I am not entitled however to be rude to my husband just because I was not feeling chipper, and I was. I'm sorry for that. Anyway, we ended up having fun.
Sunday, my boys had to serve at 7:30 mass, so I was up and at it early. It was my husband's birthday, our birthdays are 2 days apart. I tried to nap before noon, that didn't work out too well and then I got up and fixed tacos for him, his favorite meal. We had a nice day, it was quiet, but nice. We sat in the hot tub and relaxed and then went to bed. I was really tired, and fell asleep right away, but I woke up and had trouble getting back to sleep and didn't sleep well the rest of the night. I don't know what's up with me lately but I just don't sleep well anymore. I guess that's old age. Tonight, I'm going to take a Tylenol PM and hope for some real rest.
So, that about covers the Monday morning Debbie Downer post. I hope everyone is doing well. Have a great day.
Friday, January 28, 2011
1. Do you believe in love at first sight?
• I don't know about that. I think that some people have an instant connection. I felt that when I met my husband, but I don't know if I'd call it love at first sight.
2. What's your idea of a romantic evening?
• Dinner out and a glass of wine by the fire after.
3. Who was your first crush?
• Too many to recall, but some of the more notable celebrity crushes were: Jan Michael Vincent, David Cassidy and Vince Van Patton, I had "Tiger Beat" magazines everywhere!
4. What do you believe is a stronger emotion – love or hate?
• I think that love and hate are so closely related it's hard to separate them. I just think that love is the better of the two. The passion you feel with both emotions can be overwhelming. Hate can cause people to lose sight of reality to go against the basic rules of civilization, so can love. A woman who hates her husband so much that she runs him down in a parking lot and a woman who sacrifices her own life to save the life of her child defy reason.
5. Repeat question: Summarize your life in blogland and in real life.
• The outpouring of love and support for Barbara has been beautiful and a real testament to the bonds that we have formed here. I can't quit thinking about Barbara, my heart hurts for her.
• In my life, my first cousin died also and I have been asked to do his Eulogy. I'm honored and a little nervous. He was a wonderful man and I loved him dearly! I've spent a great deal of time over the last couple of days reflecting on life in general. Today is my 48th birthday and I'm not feeling particularly old…a little hung over, but not too old. I think we are so lucky to have each other. I've been very emotional and hormonal lately and my husband has had Hell with me. I don't know how to change that about myself, I know I'm being ugly and hard to live with but I can't help it. Why do I have to be crazy? Other than that, I'm just totally busy with work and Mardi Gras, it's all too much. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Monday, January 24, 2011
Mardi Gras 2009, my brother-in-law was a Duke and he works in Africa,
thus our outfits.
Friday, January 21, 2011
It's Friday – so it's BYOC – Bring Your Own Crazy. 5 questions you can copy and paste into your blog to give your brain a break and to get to know each other better!
1. For $50,000 – would you go without brushing your teeth, showering or wearing deodorant for 3 months?
Not no, but Hell no! There are few things that I hate worse than being dirty. I can hardly watch westerns, gladiator movies or pirate movies, because they are dirty, especially the teeth, I can't concentrate on the movie because I'm so grossed out!
2. Is it harder to tell someone you love them or harder to tell someone you don't love them back?
It's very easy for me to tell people that I love just how I feel about them, it would be harder for me to tell someone I don't love them.
3. What is on your bedside table?
Two cell phones, a decorative box, a book, hand lotion, foot cream a huge hospital glass of water, a book and my blood pressure medicine. When people come over, I put most of it into the decorative box…clever huh?
4. If you could be invisible, who would you kiss?
There's no one I would want to kiss if they couldn't see me, that just doesn't sound fun to me. However, there might be a few that I'd like to listen in on and maybe take a peek at in the buff.
5. Repeat question: Summarize your life in blog land and real life.
Well, I'm still pissed that Draz has no hail damage or speed bumps on her thighs. I love reading everyone's blogs, I got an award from Lisa, I got gloves in the mail from Tina and last night I got texts from Joey!!! Talk about make a girl feel good. I love how we can all be there for each other. Some of us have never even met and we still care about each other.
In my life: Mardi Gras is gearing up, I have so much to do and a party or two every weekend. I ordered the perfect pair of shoes to go with my ball gown, they didn't fit, I have skinny feet, WTH? My son stayed home from school for 3 days sick and went alone to the Dr., he got weak after getting a couple of shots and passed out, whacked his head really good and scraped his back all up, that sucks, I knew I should have taken off work to go with him! Sunday will be the 34th anniversary of my Mom's death, I can't believe she's been gone so long, I always get nostalgic and a little melancholy this time of year, I just realized, it's this time of year. This weekend the hubs and I have no kids, we are entertaining on Saturday, it's going to be another busy weekend, I hope I get to sleep somewhere along the way.
I hope everyone has a great weekend! Big Hugs!
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Yesterday was a crazy busy day, and I was stressed, stressed = super tight for me. Yesterday, I PB'd 3 times. It took me all day to eat 1 chicken strip and last night I actually got stuck on and PB'd mashed potatoes. Today, I'm still very tight and it's been difficult to eat anything. Last week I was wide open, could have eaten anything I wanted and actually told my husband I thought I needed a fill, funny how things change. Today I'm thinking that if I had a fill, I probably wouldn't be able to drink water.
Okay, so anyway...yesterday I'm having this absolutely crazy day and have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I get home last night at 7:30 with take out for my kids and on the counter is a package for me! I love to get packages, it's from Tina and it's fingerless gloves that she knitted for me! They are a beautiful green and I'm actually wearing them right now and typing, love them! Thank you Tina!!! Tina had a give-away on her blog and I was one of the lucky winners. Talk about make my day.
I have another busy weekend ahead of me, such a busy time of year. I hope everyone is doing well. Again, thanks for all the support you guys give me. It's humpday! Yippee!
Monday, January 17, 2011
brown paper packages tied up with string,
these are a few of my favorite things.
And here are a few of my not so favorite things...
- being told to be quiet
- being told not to eat something or that I shouldn't have eaten something
- someone who says "we" thinking you don't know they mean you
- feeling inadequate
- being laughed at, when I don't think it's funny
- having my feelings hurt
- being the kind of person who lets these things bother her
I just needed to get those things off of my chest. I may look like an ox on the outside, but on the inside...I'm fragile. Not always, but often times, I'm fragile. I hate even writing that down. I think that part of the difficulty of my size is that it truly belies my interior, that at times is child-like and bruises easily.
I really am having a wonderful day, but some events from the weekend have made me stop and think about a few things. Emotionally I have made great strides in some areas, in others not so much. The above would fall into the "not so much" category.
I hope everyone had a great weekend. Happy Monday folks!
Milk & Noodles is noodles in milk with butter and salt & pepper. It's kind of like mac and cheese minus the cheese. Weird, I know.
Friday, January 14, 2011
My husband is a Midwesterner and I'm a Southerner, (Cajun if you will) we grew up eating very different types of food. The things that are comfort foods to me are much different than the foods that are comfort foods to him. Rice and gravy is the gold standard in Louisiana, everything has rice and gravy with it. My husband grew up eating mashed potatoes, noodles and lots of sweet corn. It's funny how we have merged our little food worlds together. Last night we had one of his comfort foods...that is quickly becoming one of mine. Maple/Honey pork links cooked in Sauerkraut served over mashed potatoes. The first time he ate that in front of me I nearly died, now it's delicious to me, who'd have thunk it. And my man gladly eats gumbo with potato salad right in the bowl. I still haven't learned to love milk and noodles yet, but maybe one day.
I'm looking forward to the weekend, we have a dinner party on Saturday and then all the Mardi Gras balls start. Lots to do, lots of fun. Did I mention that Vickie and her sweet husband John are coming for one of our Mardi Gras balls? How excited am I? This will be my 3rd visit with Vickie. It's amazing to me that I have met such wonderful people through Pearl (my band) and through this blog. What a difference you have all made in my life. Thank you. I hope you all have a great weekend.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Monday, January 10, 2011
Last year I chose trust for my word of the year. I wanted to trust myself, trust my band, trust the process and I have to say that I did. I've been thinking a great deal about what word I would like to have to guide me through the year 2011. And I've decided on
initiative, aggressiveness, resourcefulness, courage, spunk, guts
Hey, it's not very glamorous, but it's what I need to get through the second phase of this journey. I have been at the same weight, give or take a pound for a month now. For the most part I'm eating right. (Key words here...."for the most part") I need to really give this my all if I want to see the kind of results that I want to see. I need to get off my butt and sweat. This, I know....this I haven't been doing. So today I'm asking myself for a little gumption. I want this, I really do. I know that I can have this, I'm half way there. I can get the rest of the way there, but it's likely going to take a little more effort than I've been putting forth. I've got spunk, I've got guts....I just need to excavate them. Onward folks!
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Tuesday, January 4, 2011