Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Got my little fill.

I went yesterday for my fill. First of all, thank you all for your advice and well wishes...also for your concern for me weather wise. The tropical storm brought lots of rain and wind, but no damage and an added bonus, it brought us some much needed cooler temperatures, in fact I've made the first gumbo of the season and I'm wearing a light sweater today.

Now on to the fill. I was really stressing about how much to ask for. So after taking into consideration what all of you said and my Dr. and nurse's opinions, I ended up getting 3/4 of .5 cc's put back in. When I got on the table and we started talking about it, I explained how surprised I was that taking out just .5 cc's had made such a difference and I was starving and able to eat my shoe if I wanted to. The nurse said, it's so fickle, you might get the whole .5 back in and still be loose, it's like when they take fluid out, the band settles in a different place or something. So, I was going to get 1/2 of the 1/2 back in and at the last minute asked for a "sparrow's fart" more (to quote Amy W.) So, I got it. I drank my water, I could definitely feel a difference there, but went home, stuck to liquids and mushies and noticed a huge difference in my hunger levels. My history with fills though, is that I always have a delayed reaction to them. The nurse and I were talking about it, she said she always tells patients that getting a fill is like getting a new pair of shoes, you try them on they fit great, so you decide to wear them out of the store and half way around the mall, you realize you should have broken them in slowly. I thought that was a great analogy. I've definitely been there with a fill and ate too much too quickly after a fill and paid the price later. I still think that getting the unfill was the right thing to do, although there have been moments that I felt regret. I'm hoping that this will put me on track. I hate that fills are expensive for me, and wish that they were more affordable. I think there would be better success with the band if adjustments were included in the price.

Tina at "Losing It" asked an interesting questions about where I carry my weight and how that affects the band. The last fill I had was a year ago and it was 1 cc, I only have 3.5cc's in a 10cc band, but until recently when I got really tight and got some out, I'd been pretty stable. I do carry the majority of my weight in my butt, hips and thighs and never really thought about how much your band might change on it's own with weight gain and loss if you carry your weight in the mid section. Very interesting point, I'd like to know what others think about that concept as well. Discuss.

I can't believe it's already Wednesday! Tonight is the back to school night at my Son's school, and I'm not looking forward to that, although this is one of the first times that I have not been stressed about sitting in a desk at school, so...that's a good thing.

I hope you all have a great day!
Big Hugs!
T

11 comments:

Steph said...

I'm so glad to hear the fill is in and hopefully that will put you right where you need to be. You are so lucky being able to wear a sweater. I am SO ready for Fall!! :)

Dawnya said...

Glad you got that fill. Hopefully, this one will be good and get you where you are trying to go.

MandaPanda said...

I hope this fill gets you to the elusive "sweet spot"!

Angela said...

I hope it works! I am going to find a way to use the term sparrow's fart today. Should make my day much more interesting. :)

Laura Belle said...

Ummm, it was really hard for me to concentrate after you typed 'Gumbo'. Like really hard.

But glad you got the fill and I bet everything will work out just Ryan Reynolds! (that would be 'fine')

Rhonda said...

Tina always has great questions, I've heard that losing fat around your stomach can affect your restriction as well. Glad you're feeling good about this fill, hope it does the trick for ya!

Kristin said...

I am glad that it is going well since you got it! I hope it brings you into the green zone!

~Lisa~ said...

I hope this fill works for you!

Tina said...

hooray..I hope it is the perfect fill. I am curious to see how others see the fat in the middle fat in the backside situation. I could lose as little as five pounds and have it make a huge difference in my fill level.

xxxooo

kagead said...

Glad it went well! My defill was only .2 and I went from not being able to eat ANYTHING, including Greek yogurt(!) to being able to eat EVERYTHING, including pizza with crust.

I had .1 put in yesterday and like you, could feel the difference as I drank my water. I hope this sets us both on a good path!!!

Lap Band Groupie said...

YAY! Hope this smidge does the trick! Mmmmm...gumbo! Hmmm...don't know about the where the weight is/Band thing...I'd have guessed the Band is up so high and under the ribs that it wouldn't be effected by weight, but anyone who's been pregnant knows how the stomach is effected...interesting question.

Oh, and I had a flashback of moments of panic sitting in those tiny classroom chairs!