Friday, September 3, 2010

Putting it in perspective.

This is me and John on our wedding day in December 2006

This is John and I this Wednesday for date night

I'm down 38 pounds and in 9 pounds I will weigh less than my husband has ever known me to weigh. When we met, I was really big. After Hurricane Rita, I decided that I really needed to change my life, I was miserable about my weight, I was unhealthy and now living in a tiny trailer with my boys while my home was being repaired. I felt so very hopeless. I joined Weight Watchers, again and successfully lost about 80 pounds, I felt great about myself, I felt like I was winning the battle. I was in love and my home was almost finished and then I put on just a few pounds. When I got married in December 06, I weighed only 2 pounds less than I do right now, but on my wedding day I felt beautiful. I was so completely happy and I was happy with myself at that moment. But then, here I was, now married, crazy happy and adjusting to my new life and one thing led to another, many wonderful meals, dinner parties, trips, adventures, many new stresses came into my life too, another Hurricane, being displaced again only now with 3 more people and 2 dogs, neck surgery, life, more life and voila I had put on half of the weight I lost, more at times...I spent my time yoyoing, dieting and then splurging, back and forth, back and forth.
What baffles me so much is that I was looking at my wedding photos and remembering how good I felt and I realized that I only weigh 2 pounds more today than I did then...why does it feel so different this time? I guess that this is not new territory, I've been here before. The last time I was here, it was new to me. I have 9 pounds to go to get to a place that I haven't been. I'm anxious to get there. I hope if feels as exciting as it felt to break through those barriers the last time. I'm trying really hard to give myself a break and be happy with the progress, to enjoy the journey and trust the process. It's hard though, but something I think alot of us struggle with.
In any case, I'm excited to go to New Orleans this weekend with my honey. I hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day weekend. Thanks for all of your support. Big Hug!
T

















17 comments:

Amy said...

I understand what you mean. I'm going through a bit of this myself. I think a big part of it, at least for me, is the confidence we have that this time will be different. That the weight will stay off. That we will get to our ultimate goal. So we're not as satisfied with the mini-goals on our journey, because there's something bigger ahead of us. Does that make sense? If not, well, not sure I understand it either! :)

Jacquie said...

Great pics of you and the hubster! I completely understand you! Enjoy your weekend in the Big Easy! I need to get there one of these days...I haven't been there in 20 years!

DB said...

You look great & you are a very strong person to go through all that. Have a great holiday weekend :)

Joey said...

Oh, I totally thought that you were thinner in the current pic. Nevertheless, you are a beauty! Your hubs has lost weight too, no?

Pamela E. Williams said...

You have done so well and are an inspiration to us all, I'm sure. You and John look so wonderful together. I see the love in your eyes. Have a wonderful time in New Orleans and just enjoy who you are right now.

Sherry said...

You look great. I bet your husband is thrilled too!

Lonicera said...

What cute pictures - and interesting that you're the same weight in both! How wonderful that with the lapband you won't need to worry any more that you'll yo yo more than a few pounds up and down....

I hope one day you'll sit down and write down your life story, rather than tell it in bits on a blog - you've had one interesting life...
Caroline

Sandy said...

You look amazing in both pictures. And you are still a newlywed. So cute!

Nicole said...

You look great!!xo

Jenny said...

You look beautiful! The progress you've made so far is awesome!

Cindylew said...

My beautiful Tessie...you will see new territory very soon.
I can feel it.

Barbara said...

I just loved these pics Tess.. I get frustrated as you can tell, but it is important for us to acknowledge that every day wont be perfect, and that is just the way life goes.. good things will follow.. you are so inspiring to us all and we are here to tell you.. change is a coming and the band will be there to help you, me .. all of us break through those barriers.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Simply gorgeous and love how far you've come.

Bonnie said...

Great pictures. Congrats on the great weight loss.

THE DASH! said...

Hey, gorgeous and amazing lady.

I nominated you for an award: and GO YOU for the 38 pounds down. So proud of you xx

Fiona said...

Hey Tess what is your secret? I mean those two pictures look like they were weeks apart not 4 years! You look great and very happy. Congrats on the weight loss. I have problems getting through the weight loss barriers and also believing in myself and the band. I agree with Barbara, every day wont be perfect so if you had a bad day don't beat yourself up about it, it was only a day. Have a great trip x

Sam said...

Hi Tess, I just awarded you the 'sweet 101'. Thanks for all your support.