Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rita was rude and Ike was icky!

Today I was thinking about all the stuff I need to get together before Chicago and I was looking at my calendar. The 24th of September is an important date, I just can't figure out why. I looked... no birthdays, no anniversaries. I don't know why but that date is sticking out in my head. Finally I realized, it's the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Rita! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could forget that date. It was huge for me and my family. Then I realized that September 13th will be the 3rd anniversary of Hurricane Ike. Wow, I guess I've been pretty busy living in the present since I didn't even realize it. September has been an eventful month for me in the last few years. I'm hoping that Chicago will become a marker of an eventful September memory that's much happier, I'm sure that it will. As I reflect on Rita and Ike, I must say that these events were life changing experiences that I don't think I would undo if I could. They were catalysts for change, they helped me grow and tested my mettle. Actually, it was Hurricane Rita that sealed the deal for me and my husband. He stepped up to the plate and helped me so much, he showed me what kind of man he was and was a huge support to me in a very difficult time.

Right before Rita, was Hurricane Katrina. It was an awful storm, the loss of life was huge and it got so much media attention. Just a month later, when Rita made her appearance and did so much damage, we were left in the shadow of Katrina. I often joked that our part of the state knew what Jan Brady felt like always living in the shadow of "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"

I can't help but wonder if my weight loss struggle might somehow parallel the storms. So much change, letting go of things from the past, learning what's important and then eventually just moving on with your life, wondering how it is that something that took up so much of your life, could ever be a blip on the screen now? Either way, I know for sure that the human spirit is resilient and that sometimes it really does take life changing experiences to change your life.

I leave you with a few photos...."befores" if you will.

Have a great Wednesday!
Big Hug!
T

Downed power lines in my home town.
3 trees fell on my home during Rita, we also got 18 inches of muddy water in the house.


My 2 sons and I lived in a trailer like this one for 15 months, 2 months we spent with friends and family.



Hurricane Ike brought clear salty water to visit, this is my den with the water mark, we got 37 inches inside for that storm.



The beginning of the clean up, this is my front yard as we hauled soggy things to the curb.



"Flooding is kind of like having a baby, you forget how bad it hurts til it happens again!"








11 comments:

Nella said...

Oh my...my heart goes out to you and all the families stricken by the natural disasters!

-Grace- said...

The photos take my breath away. I'm so glad that you and your family weren't harmed physically.

I am positive BOOBs will help to replace those September hurricane memories. :)

Anonymous said...

Good lord, no wonder I'm a little apprehensive about living so close to the water. I am keeping my fingers crossed for us both. Can't wait to see you!

Kerri said...

WOW, unbelievable!

Bonnie said...

Definitely time to build some better memories for September.

Steph said...

Chicago will being much better memories. In 2004, we went through 3 different storms in my part of Florida and I thought being without power for a month total was bad. I'm glad you made it through...:)

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Oh God - this was so hard for me to read and see....brings back so many memories of what we/I lost in the flood. I'm so sorry sweetie.

Gen said...

Wow, sorry! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Sandy said...

I can't imagine what you had to go through. And yes, Chicago will bring a happy memory for September. You jogged my mind too. Sept 24th is the 3rd anniversary of my mom dying. Strange how we remember but don't actually remember. We also have to get through 9/11. That day was my sister's 50th birthday and my parents anniversary. I think every day of the year can have a million different memories. Some sad, some happy, some momentous. Chicago will be a happy time.

Bianca said...

How devastating it must have been. You will have a great time in Chicago and I think September will be a month you'll be able to look back fondly on.

Lonicera said...

I love the way you're so positive, and how cataclysms such as these have stopped you taking anything for granted in your life. Truly a lesson to learn here.
Caroline