Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Almost a year!

The me on the left January 2010, the me on right March 2011.

Next Friday will be my 1 year bandiversary. I've been reflecting on the year, wow, it has flown by! When I got the surgery, I believed that in one year I would be at my goal weight. I am not. I read countless blogs before making the decision to have the surgery and I remember seeing some people who lost weight as quickly as if they'd had bypass and in a year were firmly at goal. I saw people who after a year had barely lost any weight and I saw people who after a year were about half way there. I fall in to the third of those categories and I'm not the least bit sad about it. My weight loss has been slow, but if I really stop and think about it, it has also been pretty darn painless. I have not given up any of the food or drink that I love. I have not obsessed over what I want that I can't have, I have not been inconvenienced at all. In fact, it's really been pretty easy, it has been a time in my life that I feel more normal than ever before. Once I got comfortable with my band, learned how to really chew and avoid puking, it's been good. I have not exercised like I should and although I keep saying I'm going to, I still haven't. I know that if I did start exercising in earnest and really watching what I eat, that the weight would come off quicker, but I'm pretty happy right now with the pace and the fact that I'm living, having a wonderful time and still managing to lose a little weight along the way. I do plan to step things up a bit for the second half of this journey, but...I just have to say again, I love my band, I'm so glad I have it and I'm really happy with my progress thus far. I'm still hanging on at 55 pounds down, I'm 45 pounds from my goal, 41 from the place that I think I might want to settle, I can't tell you how good it feels to think I may be happy with where I am in 40-45 pounds, that's amazing to me. For the biggest part of the last 20 years I have been at least 100 pounds overweight. So...this feels good.
The picture I posted above, of me, is a great example of how much my life has changed. The pic on the left was taken at a Super Bowl party last year and when it was posted on Facebook, I was mortified, I felt like it embodied just how badly I felt about myself. I looked fat, but even worse...I looked unhappy and I was. The pic on the right was taken over the weekend at my brother's birthday party, I think I look so much more confident and happy...and I am.
March 25, 2010 was a great day for me, one that I thought would never happen for me, I'm so glad that it did. The night before my surgery I had my husband take some pictures from several different angles for my befores, I can't locate them, because we had computer issues since then, but he says he saved them on a disc for me, I really hope I can find them so I can do a comparison. I'm looking forward to getting to my goal, I guess I'm going to have to step it up a tad if I want it to happen this year!


Have a great day!

Big Hugs!

T

27 comments:

Lyla said...

You look great! Congrats on all of your success this year :)

-Grace- said...

Looking good, hun!

Amanda Kiska said...

You look great! I can tell you feel better and are more confident and happy from the pictures!

Jacquie said...

I can't believe it will be a year for us. My 1 year is next Thursday! You look great Theresa....your eyes are sparkling in your after pic!

~Sandi @ This one time at 'band' camp... said...

Love the side by side pics...you look fantastic!

Gen said...

I'm right there with you in Group 3. I actually never thought I would lose it all...and maybe that is a problem in itself, but I am so grateful to be 50+ down. You look amazing and I'm so happy for you!

LDswims said...

I love the comparison post. Your current pic is absolutely stunning and I think it's because the smile tells so much about how you are feeling. I love it!!! You are absolutely stunning!

I'm right there with ya in group 3, too. And given how my year has gone - I really have no problems with that.

Heather said...

Looking and feeling totally awesome I'm sure!

Rachel said...

You look beautiful...You are always an encouragement. I value your thoughts and encouraging posts...Congrats!!!

Susan said...

I think you look fantastic! I feel the same way - so far this has been pretty painless at only 3 months out. And I had over 100 lbs to lose which I knew I could not do on my own. So if it takes me 2 year. . . so be it!

Bonnie said...

I remember when you were going to get your surgery last year. I was so happy that everything had turned out, but was a little bit jealous that it wasn't me. Now almost a year later you are at least 55 lbs down and I'm on the slow, but sure weight loss track. Time really flies. Love the before and after picture. You look great.

Robin said...

You look great! I'm on the two year plan, also.

Jen said...

You are so beautiful Tessie! More than that actually. Radiant. I'm so happy for you, and being in the 3rd category myself, it's not so bad. Slow and steady wins the race, right?
I'm mentally sending you a TON of mojo. Can you feel it?
If it's not enough, I'm going to send you some more tomorrow. I'm going to work out again tonight so I know I'll have some to spare. I get a little hyper after working out. Did you know, mojo begets mojo. Who knew?
Have you seen your DH's blog today? I put a headlock on it and wrassled it into submission. Check out the signature at the end of the posts. LOL!!
HUGS to you!

Beth Ann said...

I LOVE your hair! You look so beautiful! I compare myself to others all the time and I just have to stop and realize how freaking happy I am. :) That always does the trick.

Ginger aka Gidget said...

I still cannot believe it's been a year for us! Whoo hoo! Here is to goal in the next year! (Or close to it.) :)

Anonymous said...

I can just see the happiness and confidence in your face! You have done so well and you will be at your goal in no time. You look beautiful, Theresa!

Cindylew said...

Jen is right...totally radiant.
Seems a gaggle of gal's one year milestone is coming. Mine is April 26th and this is around the time I started blogging last year.
Gosh how the time flies.
So proud of you.

Read said...

Radiant is absolutely right - the love of life, the happiness you're feeling just shoots right out of you in that second picture. I'm right with you in the third category - slow and steady and not too bad!! You rock!!

Sam said...

I just love the comparison shots :o) Isn't it amazing what a year can do?!?

Steph said...

You've done amazingly well and look so vibrant and happy now. I am just so happy for you!!

Jen from Oregon said...

I love the side by sides. You are truly beautiful.

I love your hair!

Your support means so much to me along this journey.

Happy Bandaversary!

~Lisa~ said...

You look great, radiant! But, more importantly, your words are so beautifully confident and sure of yourself! I am happy for you, for your loss and for your happiness!!

Happy Bandaversary!

#fatfreefloozy said...

You are right. U look amazingly happy in the second pic!

Kristin said...

You look completely radiant, Theresa. And you deserve to feel good - you are such a kind, fun person. Enjoy!

MLM said...

What a difference...you look Great!! and what is spectacular is that you just look so much happier too!!

Shannon said...

you do look so much happier now! I am so glad you are getting that confidence :)

Pamela E. Williams said...

So pretty!! I love your smile in that second pic. Makes me want to push hard toward my goal. Happy Bandiversary!!!